Established in November 2016, the Joint Truth and Reconciliation Action Group seeks:
- To educate ourselves and others on the legacy of colonialist policies and practice on Canada’s first peoples, including hosting events;
- To listen, learn and share new knowledge about the priorities, opportunities and options for reconciliation of Canada’s many peoples;
- To participate in events and other activities on behalf of the group;
- To work with others to advance these goals;
- To share information on events being held within the broader community on indigenous culture and history, public policy and related themes.
The Group will formally report to the outreach and social justice committees within each congregation.
Lay representatives from Chalmers and Sydenham Street United Churches and others who share an interest in and commitment to advancing reconciliation with Canada’s first peoples and changing the future.
Normally one member from each church will serve co-chair of the group, responsible for setting meeting agendae and ensuring that meeting notes are recorded and circulated.
Ex officio Minister, Sydenham Street United Church Minister, Chalmers United Church
Meetings will normally be held monthly, on a schedule determined each September by the group. This Terms of Reference document was approved by the group, April 5, 2017